Vasota Fort is situated in dense forests surrounded by river. It is also known as Vyaghragad. It’s believed that a disciple of Vasishtha, a sage by the name Agasti, came to reside on a mountain on the banks of river Koyana. He named the mountain after his mentor. Later the mountain was fortified and converted into a military station. This fort is so remote that rarely there used to be any military action here hence it was used as resting place for army which has returned from the war during Maratha era.
This trek is counted as one of the best treks in Sahyadri. Being situated in the Koyna WLS, it offers amazing surprizes for wildlife lovers. The trek through the dense forest makes you forget the distance you cover.
Meeting point: Fergusson college main gate at 09:30pm
Date: 24th – 25th Dec 2016
Difficulty Level: 3(Easy to Medium)
Endurance Level: 3(Medium to High)
Base Village: Met Indavli
Route from Pune : Pune – Satara-Bamnoli
Route from Mumbai: Mumbai – Pune – Satara - Bamnoli
What to Bring:
• Luggage packed in big good trekking sack, all luggages.
• Complete spare set of clothes & socks
• Water bottle (atleast 1.5 ltr) compulsory, Electral/ Glucon-d energizers and personal medication
• A sweater/warmwear
• Good trekking shoes (sandles, chappals, floaters not permitted)
• A sleeping bag / Thermocol mat and shawl / normal satranji and shawl: (only for overnight treks)
• Torch with Extra pair of Batteries
• Camera, Binocular (Optional)
Departure from Pune at 10pm
Non stop journey to Bamnoli
Camping and Bonfire
Early morning wake up call at 6am
Fresh up, breakfast and get ready for trek by 7am
After forest permissions departure by boats and reach Met indavli around 9am.
Start trekking to Fort, Visit Vasota Fort and siteseeing
Start descending around 2.30pm
Back to met indavli by 3.30 pm and take return boat. Back to Bamnoli by 5pm
Back to Pune by 10.30pm